“…Yes, everyone agrees that leaders need vision, energy, authority, and strategic direction. That goes without saying. But we’ve discovered that inspirational leaders also share four unexpected qualities:
– They selectively show their weaknesses. By exposing some vulnerability, they reveal their approachability and humanity.
– They rely heavily on intuition to gauge the appropriate timing and course of their actions. Their ability to collect and interpret soft data helps them know just when and how to act.
– They manage employees with something we call tough empathy. Inspirational leaders empathise passionately – and realistically – with people, and they care intensely about the work employees do.
– They reveal their differences. They capitalise on what’s unique about themselves.
You may find yourself in a top position without these qualities, but few people will want to be led by you...”
– Robert Gofee & Gareth Jones