What if you could achieve 10X growth while your competitors achieve 10% growth?
A Moonshot is going 10X bigger or better when everyone else is pursuing incremental change.
Most companies ask questions such as, “How do we reduce costs by 10%?” or “How can we increase profits by 10%?”
Having a Moonshot Mindset means applying 10X thinking (or 1,000%) to all of your efforts and challenges.
So, why should you aim for 10X growth instead of 10%?
I’ll give you three reasons:
- As my friend Astro Teller, Alphabet’s “Captain of Moonshots” says, when you try to do 10% better, you’re putting yourself in direct competition with everyone else in your industry. And it’s a competition that you’re likely to lose.
- When you shoot for 10X improvement and try to do something radically hard, you approach the problem you’re solving in a completely different way.
- When you attack a problem (any problem) as though it were solvable, even if you don’t know how to solve it, you’ll be shocked at what you come up with.
In our world, change is the only constant and the rate of change is increasing.
You either disrupt yourself, or someone else will.
With a Moonshot Mindset…
(1) You understand that “the day before something is a breakthrough, it’s a crazy idea.” Your Moonshot Mindset gives you permission to tackle crazy ideas.
(2) You are willing to take the risks necessary to transform industries and society for the better. You recognize that those with a Moonshot Mindset are the innovators making the world a better place, moving humanity forward, and charting the future.
(3) You understand that a Moonshot within the realm of your Massively Transformative Purpose (MTP) can be the adventure of a lifetime, giving you joy and a purpose-driven life.
(4) You are willing to aim at billion-person challenges. You recognize that the world’s biggest problems are the world’s biggest business opportunities.
(5) You understand that Moonshots striving for a 10X improvement (or 1,000%) offer one-hundred-fold the benefit as compared to 10% incremental improvement, but are rarely one-hundred-fold more difficult to achieve. A 10X improvement is 100 timesmore worth it, but it’s not 100 times harder.
(6) As a leader, you know that Moonshots focus and motivate your team, help you attract the best talent in the world, and allow you to solve interim problems while creating interim products and services along the way.
How would your business be different if you had a Moonshot Mindset?
If you have a Moonshot (10X goal), what is an action that you can take in the next hourto make progress toward it?
Our world is shaped by a few people with crazy ideas, fueled by their Massively Transformative Purpose.
Will you be one of them?
– Peter Diamandis