Do you have a marketing depatment? If not, good. If you do, don’t think these are the only people responsible for marketing. Accounting is a department. Marketing isn’t. Marketing is something everyone in your company is doing 24/7/365.
Just as you cannot not communicate, you cannot not market,
- Every time you answer the phone, it’s marketing
- Every time you send an email, it’s marketing
- Every time someone uses your product, it’s marketing
- Every word you write on your web site is marketing
- If you build software, every error message is marketing
- If you’re in the restaurant business, the after dinner mint is marketing
- If you’re in the retail business, the checkout counter is marketing
- If you’re in the service business, your invoice is marketing
Recognise that all of these things are more important than choosing which piece of swag to throw into a conference goodie bag. Marketing isn’t just a few individual events. It’s the sum total of everything you do.
– Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson from ‘Rework – Change the way you work forever’